This site uses technical, analytics and third-party cookies.
By continuing to browse, you accept the use of cookies.

Preferences cookies

Passports and identity cards


This is to inform Italian nationals, parents of minor children, that starting from 14 June 2023 it is no longer necessary to present the act of consent of the other parent in order to obtain a new passport, pursuant to Legislative Decree 69/2023.

However, for the purposes of issuing a passport for minors, the obligation remains for consent signed by both parents or by the person exercising parental responsibility.

It is possible to request the issuance of a passport only by appointment by sending an email to

It is NOT possible to request a passport without an appointment.



The passport is an identification and travel document valid, except in particular cases, for the whole world (for further information see the website

An expiring passport cannot be renewed, i.e. its temporal validity cannot be extended: a new passport must be issued.

All minors traveling must have an individual travel document.

As a rule, Italian citizens resident in the consular district and registered with the A.I.R.E. can request the issuance of a passport at the Italian Embassy in Hanoi; in exceptional cases, duty motivated and documented, the passport can be issued to non-resident Italian citizens (after having acquired the authorization from the Police Headquarters or Consulate competent for residence).

Therefore, anyone who is not registered in the A.I.R.E. must first regularize his position via the Fast It webpage.

Address updates must be  communicate  via the Fast It webpage.

The necessary documentation to be presented on the day of the appointment is:

  1. the previous passport or, if you have not one, another identification document of the applicant;
  2. cash to pay for the passport;
  3. in the event that a passport is requested for a child under 18 years of age, an act of consent to the issue by the other parent, regardless of the marital status of the applicant (single, married, separated or divorced), with attached photocopy of the identity document. The signature on the consent document of the parent who is not a citizen of the European Union must be authenticated at the consular office the day of the appointment.

In the event of the death of one of the parents, it is necessary to present the parent’s death certificate;

  1. in the event that the applicant is no longer in possession of the previous passport following theft or loss, it is necessary to bring:

– the report made to the local authorities.


It is underlined that the physical presence of the applicant and – in the case of minors – of one of the two parents accompanied by the minor is required at the appointment to collect the electronic passport.

For further information and insights, we suggest clicking on the following link:


Information for issuing the emergency travel document ETD – Emergency Travel Document

Italian nationals whose passport was stolen or lost and are in an urgent need to leave must go 3-4 days before departure to the consular office, on the days it is open to the public, to be issued an ETD valid only for return to Italy, or to the country of permanent residence (in this case it’s necessary to prove the residence), with:

  • 2 color passport photos, with the face in the foreground and a white background, measuring 4-4.5 cm in height and 3.2-3.5 cm in width;
  • report issued by the local police authorities;
  • return flight ticket/e-ticket to Italy or to the country of residence;
  • photocopy of passport or other identification documents, if available;
  • the equivalent in VND of Euro 1.34 (approximately 50,000 VND variable according to the quarterly Euro/VND exchange rate).

The ETD issued will allow the return to Italy or to the country of residence. However, it is necessary to go to the Vietnamese Immigration office in Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City, with a Verbal Note from the Consular Office, which will carry out the required checks on the actual stay in Vietnam.

Passport theft or loss (residents abroad)

The theft or loss of passport must be reported to the competent local Police Authority and the Consular Office. The new document must be requested following the above instructions.

Issuance of a new passport (warnings)

All compatriots are also reminded to request the competent Vietnamese immigration authorities to transfer the Vietnamese visa to the new passport following issuance.