Vietnam still remembers with gratitude the solidarity shown by our country during the long conflict with the United States and looks to Italy with sympathy and friendship, recognizing us a leading role in the European Union and in multilateral fora.
Bilateral relations have experienced a marked acceleration since the early 90s when the economic reforms (Doi moi) were launched, leading the country on the road to modernization.
The main lines of Italian foreign policy towards Vietnam are:
- support for Vietnam’s policy of opening to facilitate its integration into the international community and the United Nations system;
- cooperative partnership with the European Union, including the strengthening of dialogue in the field of human rights (most recently Global Framework Agreement PCA and FTA in trade);
- strengthening of economic and trade cooperation, investment promotion and the Italian productive roots in Vietnam;
- cultural cooperation, also in order to foster the spread of the Italian language in Vietnam;
- scientific and technological cooperation, in order to promote Italian excellence in this area;
- maintaining relations of cooperation to support growth and improve the living conditions of the most disadvantaged social groups.